May 15 2020 Best Online Learning Platforms For Tech Skills During Quarantine!
2020 has been a difficult year with everything that has been going on around the world while battling COVID-19. No one could have predicted something like this would ever happen. Amidst worldwide lockdowns and quarantine, we are now presented with an opportunity to focus on ourselves with all this extra time on our hands. While we are all for self care and enjoying the sweetness of doing nothing from time to time, we gathered up a list of online platforms to keep your skills updated and if you want to kick your resume up a notch!
What’s awesome in the Tech community is the knowledge sharing and with the help of available online tools, it’s now easier and more accessible to learn new skills in the comfort of our home while practicing social distancing.
Take online classes and learn something new!
With strict implementation and enforcement of social distancing, the best way for us to spend our time alone is to soak up new knowledge, develop and upgrade skills, or just simply practice and brush up on them.
- Netacad : With their commitment in developing a workforce of the future, Cisco came up with this online platform for an IT skills and career building program that is available worldwide. They have courses in cybersecurity, IoT, and more.
- Udemy : With more than 100,000 courses available online, you certainly have a lot of options to choose from. You can find the best instructor for you while learning at your own pace and even browse hundreds of reviews on certain courses and instructors before deciding if that course is suitable to your preference. Courses also come with an Udemy certificate of completion to add to your linkedin profile and resume.
- edX : Founded by Harvard and MIT, edX is a platform that offers over 2500+ courses to help you advance your career. Their courses are recognized by industry leaders like IBM, Volvo, Walmart etc. Access to learning materials are free with paid options to obtain certifications.
- Coursera : One of the most popular online learning platforms worldwide, Coursera works with other universities and organizations to offer courses, degrees and specializations in various fields like engineering, data science, machine learning and more. As of May 5, 2020 they are currently offering 115 courses with free certification.
- LinkedIn Learning : LinkedIn also offers great online courses on a variety of topics divided into 3 major categories: Business, Creative, and Technology.
- Google Digital Garage : Most of the courses in Digital Garage are free, especially some of their beginner level courses. Expect nothing but industry expert approved levels of learning even if they are online. You can learn and apply up-to-date, real-world skills at your own pace.
- Microsoft Learn : Become Microsoft certified and enroll at Microsoft’s online learning platform to experience hands on skill development courses. They have courses for both beginners and experienced professionals.
- Free Code Camp : You can easily learn to code at home for free! For intermediate and advanced developers, you can build projects and even earn certifications to add credentials on your portfolio or resume.
- Udacity : Udacity is another online learning platform that is built and recognized by big industry leaders such as Google, AWS, and IBM. They boast a bootcamp level quality education at a fraction of the cost.
- Alison : Another great platform where you can learn FREE online courses. They have a wide number of courses available and categories that ranges from IT, Languages, Science to Marketing and more.
- Tutorials Point : An online platform originally from India, Tutorials Point offers a wide options for Tech courses like Machine Learning, Web Development, Java Technologies and more. Their courses are offered at a very reasonable price.
- Edureka : An online, instructor-led training platform with a 24/7 lifetime support. They also offer a lot of certification training courses.
For those who are currently thinking of making a career transition into Tech, now is the perfect time to start and even consider joining a coding bootcamp. If self studying is not enough and you need that extra motivation, consider joining a bootcamp to surround yourself with a supportive community of peers and instructors to help and challenge you. Two of the most popular and trusted coding bootcamp schools in Tokyo are currently offering their courses remotely.
- Le Wagon Tokyo : Ranked as the number 1 coding bootcamp worldwide on Switchup for 4 years in a row now, Le Wagon coding bootcamps used to have students fly from nearby countries just to attend and participate. They now have 38 campuses all over the world. Learn more about their Tokyo branch remote learning environment HERE.
- Code Chrysalis : As Tokyo’s only Silicon Valley style bootcamp, Code Chrysalis offers a curriculum in both English and Japanese that is focused on building autonomous and versatile software engineers. An advantageous feature of their bootcamp is their great career placement support and mentorship directly from the founders themselves. Join their interactive lectures and activities by learning more about their current remote course experience HERE.
While some people like to take advantage of open resources to learn at their own pace, others need the challenge that a structured learning environment such as bootcamps can provide, with peers who can hold each other accountable. These are just several out of the hundreds of available learning platforms online, and there is something for everyone. Find what works for you and let’s make the best out of this situation!
Ready to take the next step? Submit CV and gain access to hundreds of handpicked jobs and opportunities across Japan today.